DPS Police Reports 12/18 – 12/31

Public Intoxication

December 18, 10:40 p.m.

Two officers were dispatched to Terminal B, Gate 7 in reference to a possible intoxicated passenger who had been asked to deplane. Upon arrival, officers were advised the individual had deplaned on his own and had left the area. Officers were advised by airline personnel that the passenger had been disruptive and calling the flight attendants names and had been asked to deplane.

Officers left the area and started walking toward the higher gates in the direction the passenger had been seen going. As officers passed gates with airline personnel, several kept pointing higher and said the passenger had cussed at them on his way by. Officers finally caught up with the passenger as he was exiting to baggage claim 30.

Officers attempted to help the passenger by asking what was going on and he began yelling and was irate that he had been kicked off the plane for no reason. The passenger would not calm down and said he just wanted to leave. Officers showed him the exit door to the upper level curb, and he walked out. The passenger was traveling with two small dogs and had them on leashes. The passenger continued yelling and screaming and calling officers names. Officers hoped that after he went outside, he might calm down and officers could find a way to help him. The passenger said he lost his house and business in the fires recently in California and this may have been a factor in his outburst.

The passenger walked across the roadway and officers became concerned for his wellbeing as he was not getting out of the street. Officers went out to the passenger and tried to get him to come back to the curb and sit down as the passenger finally said he just wanted some help. As officers tried to guide the passenger back to the curb, they could smell the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his breath when he spoke. Officers noticed the passenger’s eyes were glassy and bloodshot. After officers got the passenger to the curb, they still could not get him to calm down after telling him they would help him.

Based upon investigation and observation, officers believed the passenger was intoxicated in a public place to the degree that he was a danger to himself if left alone. Officers placed the passenger under arrest for public intoxication around 10:50 p.m. The passenger was transported to station one jail for the book in process.

The passenger was traveling with two small dogs. The dogs were taken by to Grapevine Animal Control for the night.


December 19, 8:40 a.m.

Two officers were dispatched to an assault in progress at the DART Platform. The suspect was described as a black male wearing a brown jacket, black pants and carrying a suitcase. MCR indicated the suspect walked up to the North Service Road. Officers arrived at the scene and spoke to the victim who stated the suspect hit him in the back of the head and he felt pain. Officers called for EMS and went to look for the suspect while a DART security officer and the victim’s girlfriend stayed with the victim.

The victim’s girlfriend stated the suspect struck the victim in the back of the head with his fist while walking on the DART platform (near the walkway that goes to Terminal A). The suspect also lunged at the girlfriend and left the scene. MCR reported the suspect walked back to Terminal A, went down to the lower roadway curb at A10 and dropped his brown jacket by a bench. MCR indicated the suspect was heading toward officers when EMS arrived.

The suspect was approaching the DART platform after changing his appearance (no jacket, wearing sunglasses) but had his briefcase. Officers made contact with the suspect and commanded him to turn around and put his hands on his head. Officers placed handcuffs on the suspect for the officers’ safety. Officers patted him down, and he gave them permission to search his pockets. The suspect had no weapons on him. The security officer identified the suspect. Three more officers arrived to assist.

Officers read the suspect the Miranda Warning. The suspect understood his rights and agreed to answer questions. The suspect initially denied assaulting the victim. He later stated he did hit the victim because he “called him a b***h” and was looking at him. The suspect minimized the assault by saying there was no blood. Due to the suspect assaulting the victim, causing pain, which lead to treatment by EMS, the suspect leaving but returning to the scene, and to prevent further violence, the suspect was placed under arrest for Assault.

Officers interviewed and took witness statements from the victim, the girlfriend, and the DART Security Officer. The victim indicated he had just exited the train from the other side of the tracks and felt a strong/hard impact on the back of his head and fell to the ground. It took a moment to realize he was assaulted. He stated the suspect lunged at his girlfriend and then chased him until DART personnel came over. The girlfriend witnessed the suspect hit the victim in the head and “go after him.” The girlfriend stated she stepped between them to stop the suspect. She stated the suspect yelled that the victim called him the “N Word.” She also reported the victim did not say that.

The girlfriend stated the suspect moved toward her but a person intervened, the DART Personnel came over, and the suspect left the scene. The security officer stated she did not witness the assault, but heard a lady screaming and went to the scene. She indicated a white man (the victim) was on the ground, and a person who she described as the suspect walked passed her and up the stairs.

Assault, Causing Bodily Injury/Family Violence

December 21, 4:05 a.m.

An officer responded to a report of a possible domestic disturbance near the Terminal D, Gate 21. Originally officers were unable to locate the incident, but DFW DPS Communications personnel were able to confirm the location and MCR personnel were able to provide a description.

The officer approached an Asian couple matching the description provided and asked if everything was ok. A female was standing in front of a seated male subject. The female responded that everything was fine, they had just been having a bad conversation.

Three more officers arrived on scene. Officers then asked the female to speak separately from the male. She continued to say they had just had a bad conversation. She stated the male was too emotional and he had cursed her. When asked what she did when he cursed her, she stated she grabbed and punched him.

Officers then spoke with the male. He stated that they had been arguing and the female grabbed his neck and punched him several times. When he originally called 911 to get help, she tried to get the phone away from him and eventually hung it up. Later when the 911 operator called him back, the female again took the phone from him and hung it up. He later clarified that she did grab his neck, but she did not try to choke him.

Officers observed a small red mark (an abrasion and possible bruise) on the male’s upper right cheek next to his right eye. Officers did not see any other visible injuries, and the male stated he had no other injuries. He indicated the marks on his cheek were from the female hitting him. Officers later took a written statement from the male and photographed his face and neck area and attached them to the report.

Officers then advised the female of the seriousness of her actions and she was apologetic, but she stated she had tried to prevent the male from calling 911 so this wouldn’t happen. Officers placed her under arrest for the assault and the interference with an emergency call. During a search, incident to arrest, officers located the male’s phone in the pocket of her coat. She was handcuffed and escorted to a police car for transport to the Station 1 Jail.

Officers located a witness to the incident in the area, who advised he saw the female punching the male on two separate occasions. The witness completed a witness statement.

Because the female knowingly caused bodily injury to the male by grabbing and punching him, and because they have a dating relationship, she was charged with Assault, Causing Bodily Injury/Family Violence. Because the female knowingly interfered with the male’s ability to place an emergency call to request assistance in an emergency from a law enforcement agency, she was charged with Interference With Emergency Request for Assistance. Because the assault was committed against a victim in a dating relationship with the suspect, officers completed a Family Violence Packet and a request for an Emergency Protective Order.

Resist Arrest, Search or Transport, Simple Assault and Assault Public Servant

December 21, 8:35 p.m.

Three officers were dispatched to Terminal B, Gate B3, in response to an irate and possibly intoxicated passenger.

Upon arrival, officers noticed a female matching the description of the intoxicated passenger having trouble walking down the hallway toward them. Officers spoke with the passenger, who stated she was removed from an American Airlines flight scheduled to depart at 8:30 p.m. The passenger stated she did not understand why she was pulled off the plane, and she was headed to a funeral.

The passenger stated she drank two glasses of wine before getting on the plane. She later stated to officers she had drank three glasses of wine. As the passenger spoke, officers could detect a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating from her breath. Officers also noticed she was slurring her words, had a fixed stare with watery bloodshot eyes. Airline personnel stated the passenger had spilled beer on a family on her inbound flight to DFW and became difficult on the outbound flight, so she was removed. The gate agent said as they were escorting her up the jetbridge at B3, the passenger tried to hit the agent, but was unsuccessful.

Because the passenger was intoxicated in public to the degree she became a danger to herself or others, she was placed under arrest for Public Intoxication. As officers escorted the passenger down the hallway, she saw the gate agent she tried to hit and stated, “That’s the little fa***t right there that tried to stick his d**k in me!”

As the passenger was being escorted out of the terminal to the curb, she became resistant and actively struggled with officers. The passenger kicked an officer in the shin of her left leg as they took her out the door. Additional charges of Resist Arrest, Search or Transport, Simple Assault and Assault Public Servant 13B Simple Assault were added.

The passenger was transported to Station One. While searching the passenger’s belongings during book-in at the jail, officers located a vial of THC oil in a pocket of one of her travel bags. The THC oil was later measured at 16.1 grams, so an additional charge of Possession of a Controlled Substance was added.

Driving While Intoxicated

December 23, 1 a.m.

An officer observed a silver Jeep weaving from side to side in its lane of travel on the ramp from North International Parkway onto Rental Car Drive. The officer observed the vehicle make a wide right turn onto Rental Car Drive heading east. The vehicle then straddled both lanes until moving into the right hand lane. The vehicle then rapidly accelerated up to 45 mph. Upon reaching the intersection of Rental Car Drive and Passport Avenue, the vehicle then began to straddle both lanes again.

The officer activated his overhead lights in order to conduct a traffic stop. After activating the overhead lights, the vehicle then attempted to pull over in the left lane of Rental Car Drive and then sharply turned right into the parking lot of Drive Nation at 2550 Rental Car Drive.

The officer approached the vehicle and made contact with the driver, identified himself as a peace officer with DFW Airport, and asked her for her driver’s license and proof of insurance. The officer noticed a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from inside the vehicle and observed the driver’s eyes to be bloodshot. The driver presented her driver’s license and began to look for her insurance information. The driver advised she could not find her insurance information and advised she was nervous. The officer asked her where she was coming from, and she advised she was coming from Arlington. The officer then asked the driver where she was travelling to, and she advised she was travelling to her home in Plano. The officer asked her what she was doing in Arlington, and she advised she was visiting with a friend. The officer asked the driver how many alcoholic beverages she had consumed tonight, and she advised she had a margarita.

The officer then asked the driver to step out of her vehicle as he was going to check to make sure she was safe to drive. The officer then began to conduct Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFST’s). The officer conducted Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN). The officer checked the driver’s eyes for resting nystagmus, equal pupil size, and equal tracking. The officer observed lack of smooth pursuit in both eyes. The office then observed distinct and sustained nystagmus at maximum deviation in both eyes, onset of nystagmus prior to 45 degrees, and vertical nystagmus.

The officer then conducted the walk and turn portion of SFST’s. The officer instructed the driver on how to perform the walk and turn and demonstrated it for her. The officer asked the driver if she understood his instructions, and she advised she did. The officer then observed the following clues: can’t keep balance during instruction, starts too soon, misses heel to toe, stops while walking, uses arms for balance. The officer then conducted the one leg stand portion of SFST’s and observed the following clues: uses arms for balance and sways while balancing.

The officer then asked the driver how intoxicated she felt on a scale zero to ten with zero being not intoxicated and ten being the most intoxicated she has ever been, and the driver advised she was at a one. The officer then informed the driver she was being placed under arrest for Driving While Intoxicated. The officer handcuffed (double locked) her, searched her in front of the patrol vehicle, and placed her in the back of the vehicle. The driver was then transported to DPS Station 1 taping room without incident.

Public Intoxication

December 23, 4:50 p.m.

Two officers were dispatched to Terminal B, Gate B25, in reference to an irate and intoxicated passenger.

Upon arrival, the gate agent informed officers the passenger in question was booked on an American Airlines flight, which was supposed to depart at 9:05 this morning. The gate agent stated they had to wake the passenger up to see what flight he was supposed to be on.

Officers spoke to the passenger and asked him if he knew where he was, and he stated, “Yeah, Oregon.” While the passenger spoke, he was slurring his words and spitting into his mustache. Officers also detected a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating from his breath.

Officers asked the passenger for his driver’s license, and he awkwardly fumbled around through his wallet until it fell on the ground at his feet. Officers told the passenger his driver’s license had fallen on the floor, but he did not respond until he was told a few more times. The passenger bent over to pick up his license and had great difficulty using his fingers to grab it.

Because the passenger was intoxicated in a public place and was a danger to himself if left unattended, officers placed him under arrest for Public Intoxication. The passenger was transported to Station One Jail.

Public Intoxication

December 25, 5 p.m.

Two officers were dispatched to Terminal C, Gate 33 in reference to a welfare check. DFW Communications advised a flight coming from Portland, OR had a male subject talking to himself and was possibly on something.

Upon arrival officers met with the onboard flight attendant. The flight attendant stated the male made inappropriate remarks to other passengers in his vicinity and was talking to himself. The flight attendant stated the white male was wearing a skeleton jacket and had a big red beard.

Officers observed an individual matching the description and asked him to walk back to the concourse area. When asked where he was coming from, the passenger stated Tulsa. While walking on the jet bridge, the passenger was unsteady on his feet and bumped the wall a couple of times. The passenger used the jet bridge’s walls as support while walking up to the concourse. The passenger stated “sorry, I’m a little intoxicated” when he tripped on a cart.

The passenger was immediately confrontational, using profane language and was agitated when asked where he was traveling and how much he had to drink.

An officer was holding the passenger’s boarding pass, and he thought they had his passport. The passenger stated he had a flight to Tulsa tomorrow morning, but it was scheduled to depart later that evening. The passenger was denied boarding for the remaining of the evening due to his level of intoxication. The passenger later admitted to having three drinks. While talking to the passenger, officers could smell a strong odor of alcoholic beverage emitting from his persons.

Due to the passenger’s inappropriate remarks and agitated behavior, being unsteady on his feet, not able to answer basic questions, officers believed the passenger was intoxicated in a public place where he was a danger to himself or others if left alone. He was arrested for public intoxication, handcuffed and transported to Station One Jail.

Possession of Drug/Narcotic Violation

December 26, 7:20 a.m.

An officer was dispatched to Terminal D, US Customs Level 1 in reference to a THC violation.

Upon arrival the officer met with a CBP Officer who had a passenger detained during a bag search. The CBP Officer stated the passenger had been referred to secondary screening for possible drugs. The CBP Officer located a small package containing a Cherry Fruit Gummy inside also stated THC on the package. The CBP Officer field tested the fruit gummy, which tested positive for Marijuana /Hashish.

The officer spoke with the detained passenger, who stated she was returning from a flight departing Vancouver to DFW. The passenger admitted to owning the THC Fruit Gummy, she was not aware it was illegal to possess in the airport.

Because the passenger was in possession of a THC Fruit Gummy, she was placed under arrest for Possession of Drug/Narcotic Violation. The Fruit Gummy was already package in a US customs evidence sealed bag. The US customs evidence bag had a total weight of 30.9 grams. The total gross weight of all package evidence was 42.2 grams. The passenger was arrested and transported to Station One jail without incident.

Public Intoxication

December 27, 9 p.m.

Officers were dispatched to Terminal C on a possible public intoxication at Gate C7.

Upon arrival, officers made contact with the American Airlines gate agent. The agent advised the subject was yelling, dancing and causing a scene at the gate. The agent pointed the subject out to the officers at the gate area.

Officers made contact with the subject, and noticed his eyes were blood shot and watery and had a strong smell of an alcoholic beverage emitting from his breath. The subject was swaying as he was speaking with officers, and spoke with a slurred speech. The subject advised he had several beers at a restaurant in Terminal C and a beer on his connecting flight to DFW.

Due to his intoxication level, officers believed he was a danger to himself and or others. There was not a responsible party to release the subject to at the time of this incident. The subject was taken in to custody for Public Intoxication and transported to Station 1.

Driving While Intoxicated

December 27, 11:10 p.m.

An officer was dispatched to an unattended vehicle that had an open container in the center console at Terminal E, lower level. An ASD Officer contacted DFW DPS after he noticed an unattended vehicle on the curb at the lower level located at Terminal E. While the ASD officer was observing the vehicle for any suspicious activity, he noticed an open container of a 16oz Budweiser can and a full bottle of Smirnoff Ice in the center console. The ASD Officer contacted DFW DPS for further investigation. Three more officers arrived to assist.

Upon arrival, officers made contact with the driver of the vehicle. The driver advised he arrived to DFW to pick up his girlfriend. Officers asked the driver if the vehicle stated above was his, he advised yes. Officers asked the driver if he drove the vehicle listed above to DFW Airport, he stated yes.

Due to the strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emitting off of the driver’s breath, officers asked him how many beers he had to drink, the driver advised one. Officers asked the driver again how many beers he had, he then stated two, one at home before he drove to the airport and the one in the vehicle. Officers asked the driver if the beer in the center console was his and if he was drinking the beer that was in the center console, he stated yes.

Officers conducted SFST’s on the driver. Officers observed 6/6 clues in his eyes, 5/8 clues in the walk and turn and 3/4 clues in the one leg stand. Due to the subject’s poor performance on the field sobriety test, officers determined that he no longer had the normal use of his mental or physical faculties due to the introduction of alcohol into his system. The driver was arrested for driving while intoxicated and transported to station 1.

Public Intoxication

December 28, 1:20 a.m.

Two officers were dispatched to Terminal D Entry 22 upper level in regard to an intoxicated female.

Communications advised there was a female subject walking around Terminal D possibly intoxicated. Officers arrived on scene and spoke with an ABM cleaner, who advised she discovered the female earlier in the men’s bathroom. The cleaner stated she redirected the female to the female’s bathroom.

Officers walked up to the Grand Hyatt Hotel lobby. The Hotel Manager advised the female was in the lobby earlier stumbling around trying to catch her next flight. The Hotel Manager stated she observed a small cut on the female subject’s left eye. The manager asked the female subject to stay in the lobby so she could seek medical treatment. The female subject advised she was not staying and needed to leave to catch her next flight. Officers continued to search for the female subject.

A short time later Communications advised the female subject was back at the front lobby of the Grand Hyatt. Officers walked back to the lobby and met with the female subject.

Officers identified themselves and advised the female subject of why we were there. Officers asked the female subject to provide them with identification and asked her if she had anything to drink tonight. The subject replied she had a glass of wine about 5 or 6 hours ago. While the subject was speaking officers could smell an odor of alcoholic beverage emitting from her breath. Officers asked the subject if she was waiting for a flight, she replied yes. While officers were asking questions, they observed the subject to slur her words and repeat the same thing.

Officers asked the subject if she had a room at the hotel, she replied no. Officers observed the subject’s eyes to be dilated and glassy, and also observed a small cut above her left eye. Officers asked the subject how she got the cut. She at first stated she did not know, and then changed her answer to “I did it to myself.” Officers asked the subject what Terminal she was in, and she stated, Terminal C. Officers asked the subject if she was able to take care of herself. She advised that she was fine.

While officer were talking to the subject an unknown white male walked up to her. Officers asked if he was traveling with her. The male advised he was trying to get her to her destination. Officers asked the subject if she knew this man, and she stated they had been drinking together at the bar. Officers asked her which bar, and she was unable to give them a location. Officers asked her if she knew his name. She replied she did not know his name. Officers asked her why she was at a hotel with a man she did not know and she stated so they could drink at the bar.

Officers asked the subject for consent to test for HGN (Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus). After completing the HGN test, officers advised that the subject had the following clues, Lack of Smooth Pursuit, Distinct and Sustained Nystagmus at maximum deviation, Onset of Nystagmus prior to 45 degrees and Vertical Nystagmus. Officers advised the subject that due to showing signs of HGN and her behavior, they believed her to be intoxicated and a danger to herself and others. Officers advised the subject that she was being placed under arrest for Public Intoxication.